Sunday, October 08, 2006

What is it about Singapore?

Ten years ago I went to Singapore by accident. I was traveling in Eastern Africa on an around the world adventure and was thinking it would be cool to go see my cousin David who was working in Shanghai. For some reason Singapore (doesn't even rhyme with Shanghai but in my defense -a very weak defence I admit-does begin with the same letter) got stuck in my brain and that's where I thought he was living. I bought the ticket to Sin city and was excited to be going to SE Asia for the first time and also to be spending some time with cuzin David and family.
OK simple mistake, anyone could have made it and (well, most people couldn't have but I did) I got to check out a place in the world that I never would have otherwise...Raffles Hotel, Singapore Sling, giant plastic snowmen shimmering at night in the the equatorial heat, no crime, no garbage and sadly no cousin. No worries, great city, glad I saw it, won't be back. Never say never. My friend Steve just moved to Singapore a few months ago and it got me thinking that it would be a great jumping off point for my bike ride north through Malaysia. I am slightly familiar with the city and Steve said he would put me up for a few days and show me around. "Alright! Singapore let's do this right this time"
Just got the email from Steve. "...got the job done early won't be in Singapore for your trip, sorry and have an awesome adventure". What is it about Singapore? Why does it want me to keep coming back with absolutely no agenda or plan? What did I ever do to Singapore? What am I supposed to learn here? The last time I was there it was after a 9 month trip and was a transition, an easing back into a more affluent and "Westernized" world...if you call hyper-efficiency and super organized and 'cleaner than any western city I've ever seen' a gentle transition. So maybe this is a transition time too. Like a 4:00 AM blaring alarm clock waking me from the laid back and quiet/rural life of Kauai where people smile and wave to a metropolis of overcrontrolled, overcrowded, and over-sanitized where I'll be overwhelmed. Sounds like the perfect beginning to a new adventure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah -- I remember when James didn't visit Shanghai because he was in Singapore... we definitely would have had more fun in Shanghai where it's legal to spit.

There were two memorable things in Singapore -- The area downtown with the good grilled meat on a stick (oops, sorry about that), and the sailing club near the center of the South side of the island accessible by train where you can rent a Laser.

My unsolicited advice for the trip: leave the fancy bike in Kauai. Buy a local bike in each country and give it away with a smile when you leave. You'll sleep better.