Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Ramblings before the journey begins...one week now

The rising full moon on Kauai last Friday was kaleidescopic, neon, anything but subtle and maybe even embarrassing. I was riding my bike to my sister Martha and her boyfriend Peters house and nearly got hit by a car as my eyes were drawn to the moon like some cycling werewolf. God just busted out the bright pink hues and big brushes and went for the full "oh my..um..god I've never seen anything so beautiful, ever" effect. To the east a dusky sky all rose petal pink and a huge rising moon over the pinkish-purple Pacific. To the west, and I don't know what god was thinking here, the brightest combo of orange and red and hot Daisy-Duke pink clouds plastered with crazy Van Gogh brush strokes (not the early wild brush strokes of the "look I've lopped of my ear" self portrait years, no.. too subtle for this sunset, but the later brush strokes while in the asylum at Arles...think Starry Night) all above a setting bloody sun. Breathtaking, as was the hill out of Anahola, and a perfect primer for the Sufi gathering that was the reason for this ride in the first place.
This small gathering on the north shore of Kauai meets every full moon and sings songs from varied religious backgrounds while dancing in a circle around a couple of musicians. The love that is generated is so sweet and palpable that my smile was uncontrollable. Not in a deranged or chemically altered way but in that way when people of like mind and heart, feeling really connected and afraid of nothing, get to share in Universal Love. It's always there but where do I go? It was so good to feel that again. I've felt it before while in a small group of massage therapists/body workers in Seattle, gathering to share experience and learn the deeper work. I've felt it in a Men's Group I belonged to for years in Friday Harbor, Wa. A group dedicated to growth and support of each other as self-fulfilled human beings. Being there to listen as men opened up on levels that this culture believes men can't fathom let alone reach.
And as I stood at this little gathering of aging hippies and blissed out New Agers I felt connected to the groups I've been involved with in the past as well as all the other small groups of people that I know are meeting/singing/praying/meditating/crying/improving/writing... for peace and for self expression and for connection to something more intimate and better. It was as if I could see that we who care are not alone. There is a movement happening and it's not political nor organized. It's scattered and unfocused (kind of like this blog entry) and small scale yet incredibly powerful because it's all about human growth and love. I felt so good and happy standing hand in hand with these (no longer) strangers and knowing that I am connected.
Sunday on the other hand, when I found out my friend isn't going to meet me in Singapore as planned, I wasn't feeling so happy, connected and loving. But that was yesterdays blog entry.

No comments: