Sunday, October 01, 2006

Not yet crapping my pants (but I haven't left either)

Two weeks 12 hours and 7 minutes till my flight leaves Kauai for parts unknown. Actually not totally unknown. I've been to Singapore before, 10 years prior, and the Starbucks/Mc Donalds/7-11 lined spit-shined streets ( not actually spit as that would earn you a caning ) will be somewhat familiar. My friend Steve who is putting me up for a few days has promised to show me the underbelly of a town that doesn't have one. I like the way that sounds, way more rogue-esque than going out for a beer after work, but this is my blog after all and travel-blogs are supposed to exaggerate the mundane. As if going to a pub is some daring adventure in a city-state that sanitizes experiences as if they were public toilets.
But I'm getting ahead of myself. Even if Singapore is just a landing pad for a bicycle trip that will take me through Malaysia, Thailand, and into India, it still isn't the beginning of this blog.
Today was the last day of my job as a zip tour operator. That is the beginning. When one door is closed another is opened. For the next 2 weeks I'll be studying up on my Malaysian, riding the last few hundred prep miles and ingesting anti-malarials. I'll also be packing and unpacking my paniers until the perfect and appropriate load to weight to "why the f*** am I taking this must have yet totally superfluous crap" ratio is reached.

No comments: