Saturday, August 11, 2007

This is it

Today is the last time I'll set foot in a spa. That is until I make it big and can afford a $135 hot stone massage and a $75 pedicure. My nails will look like crap for a while and that thought wrecked my sleep. I'm up early and putting on my 100% polyester uniform also for the last time. A person should never wear polyester against their will. Actually upon deeper thought, a person should never wear 100% polyester at all. The slinky way it rubs against my skin. The way it avoids wrinkling even though I ball it up and stuff it in the envelope drawer at work every night before closing only to put it on unwashed the next morning. The passive aggressive little bitch in me actually likes this feature because I somehow feel subversive and alternative by seeing how long I can wear a uniform before washing it. I know this is a rather disgusting and inappropriate {and pointless} thing to do but I like the cognitive disonance of it all. Like in the opening scene of David Lynch's Blue Velvet where the camera shows a normal "beautiful" suburban scene and slowly pans down under the perfect lawn to the slithering wormy substance it's all built on. A perfect analogy for the spa. So I stand behind the counter in my own little personal funkiness to remind me that it's all a sham. There is so much toxic energy and stress behind the thin veneer of polyester and fake smiles that my cheeks (and soul)hurt just thinking about it. That's what really has me running for the exits. I want a life of authenticity. I want a life not veneered over by "niceness" and pretty smells. The stench of an open sewer in some back alley of Phnom Penh isn't my favorite thing either, but walking through it I knew I was alive. Better yet so were the people living in it. Not just existing but living and selling and buying and hustling and bustling and laughing and crying and crapping in the streets. People there hang out with family...and struggle. The cake eaters (thank you for that term 'anonymous islander') here don't really struggle and still feel the need to take a "spa vacation" to get AWAY from their kids. Again I think of the words of the Dalai Lama who notes that income level and happiness are inversely proportionate.
But back to polyester. It's an amazing substance and so unnatural I can feel the sking tumors growing, slowly growing, throughout the day. It also reminds me too much of my first "real" job at Jack In The Box. But instead of coming home smelling like a double cheese bacon jack and french fries, I arrive home to Sheryl smelling of canteloupe/lime infusers or jasmine/burnt sugar candles. Agreed, it is a step up but if I account for inflation I probably made as much or more at 16 years old than I do now. The deep fat fryer is looking better all the time...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm counting on you to have left the sweaty polyester uniform stuffed in the envelope drawer for the next poor unsuspecting Spa Boy...

OR~ trade that polyester uniform in for a nice Dry-Fit t-shirt to wick that sweat away WHILE BIKING!!! (You KNOW your butt belongs on a bike seat, Dude!)

Anonymous said...

Whew! I was worried about you for a minute there, brother! Seeing how cute and GAY you looked in that polysuit last weekend was a surreal experience and I almost started to believe the lie you were living!!!!! Surrounded by the bevy of beautiful women that work there and obviously adore you I was wondering if you would actually leave. The infused aromas, the soft music and calm, seemingly Soma induced smiles and wide-eyed look of those lovlies made me glad that I came for a look at the setup myself.
With one step out the door it became obvious what it was all about. I haven't actually taken a walk out there during the day for many years and boy was I surprised.
Congratulations on your escape, you are right, it wasn't a very good fit, sort of like a bb in a boxcar.

Love ya bro,

Sis

Anonymous said...

The feeling of aliveness come not from the veneer of "nice" but the embrace of the reality of our position.
http://www.coutreach.org/newsltrs/Spring01/1-01indwelling.htm

Anonymous said...

Dear James,
I feel for you. Here I thought you were somewhat of an "enlightened" soul who could find compassion for people--even the arrogant, proud, selfish, rich, and mean. But now I see you are one of the Unwise Selfish People thinking only of yourself which obviously has resulted in confusion and pain for you.

How are we ever going to cultivate peace with this cynicism? I urge you to find out for yourself about peace and whether or not its true that YOUR fundamental situation is joyful. Ask your self what you reject out there that you are rejecting in yourself?

Don't blame the spa, or the people enjoying the spa (and employing grateful people) because you found yourself in an unwanted situation.

Egolessness IS available at all times. Good Luck with that, James.