Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve in Bangkok

Hey New Bangkok Photos!
In one corner of Santi Chai Prakan park near where I am staying, eight people on a makeshift stage (nine if you count the white guy listening) are playing traditional Chinese instruments and singing. It is sad, occasionally raucus, beautiful, rhythmic and reminiscent of howling cats, sitars and dulcimers. It is not Jingle Bells. In the opposite corner a Thai Capoera group is singing and clapping around two dancers/fighters who spar in flowing slow motion. Along the sidewalk an old white hippie teaches a "George-of-the-jungle" rhythm to a young Thai woman wearing a tie-dyed headscarf. Three stoned dread-lockers lie in the grass as a stunningly beautiful and tattood mother chases the toddler that just rebounded off of me like a diapered bumper car. The silver-blue and pink sunlight reflected from the Chao Phraya river has faded and the dim light remaining comes from flourescent tubes tied to sticks that are hammered into the grass. Some ambient light reflects off of the moldy and once-white castle like walls of Phra Sumen Fort and a small Buddhist shrine. Old men sit on benches watching the tuk-tuks speed by billowing massive amounts of blue smoke as bright ferries, lit up like Christmas trees, float by on the now black water. Above it all are the illuminated suspension cables of Phra Pinklao Bridge, asymetrically lighting up the sky like a giant broken harp...with...cars on it. I'm alone on Christmas Eve and I don't care. I kind of hate to say it, but I've just fallen in love with Bangkok.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Pics Jimmie, I love the black and whites on cheryls page too... The big rock that looks obscurly out of place reminds me of large rocks I've been ballencing lately. I will take an unproportional river rock and ballence it on it's tip of the small end- finding the ballence point takes a minute but looks impossiable to the eye when standing. Lots of love and Merry X-mas to you too. XOXOX FLORA

Anonymous said...

James, I want a tuk-tuk for Christmas. Send one home with Sis and I will have a good excuse to go to the island and pick it up. I bet I would be the only guy in "OHIO" to have a tuk-tuk? Merry Christmas, oh one with the rhythmic tongue typing with fingers of golden talent.

Anonymous said...

hi james, i finally found some time to explore your blog. we've met in Thailand, when we were cycling to Langkawi and you had just arrived in Thailand. i tried to email you the photo that we took there, but i can't seem to get your email address right (can hardly read it anymore on the little note you wrote). so if you want, send me an email at an_coucke@hotmail.com
wish you a merry christmas and lots of fun on your trip...
best wishes, an

James said...

Hey Flora the explora!! Thnks for the feedback. Long time no see...back in Seattle last summer no? I hope you have a great christmas...over to Bobs for day? Send them my love and lets get together in B-ham when I get back! Love you, and take some photos of the river rocks for me love

Anonymous said...

wow. as much as I like reading these, this one has to be the most visual one yet.... just kinda pulled me right there!
Merry X-mas!

Anonymous said...

hi from changi airport! waiting for your new blog!!... take care, JN

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, James! Oh, what a beautiful Christmas morning "poem" to wake up to...and what a great gift for all of us that YOU are such a gifted writer! Thanks so much. ~Margaret

James said...

Margaret, Stop it I'm blushing! OK don't stop I love it!