Thursday, November 30, 2006

Language #2

Even though excited to get to Thailand, I hated leaving Malaysia as I grew to love the place. But after 5 weeks or so the hardest thing to leave behind was the language (OK and the food and the people and...). But oh how I miss the days of a good old "selamat pagi". I had studied bahasa Malaysia for a month or so before before leaving so I could at least find a toilet and food when I got there. Laziness and denial let me get to southern Thailand with not one word of Thai in my lexicon. Turns out I should have been studying Thai instead of Malaysian. The language situation is the exact opposite of what I had imagined. Everyone in Malysia seems to speak some English and a lot speak it well. In Thailand not many speak it well and there are quite a few who have no English words in them what so ever. And the written script? Where are my roman letters!? It makes it very hard to find anything or go anywhere by bike if I can't even phonetically try to read a town name. So that has been hard for me and boo-frickety-hoo! "Of course they speak Thai, you ninny, youre in Thailand!!" Oh my God, here come the voices!
I use the Lonely Planet guide book for a ton of information and it is great. For language tips, it's useless. When for the first few days here I tried to say "I am vegetarian" people would just shake their heads and pick up a fish or chicken part. I would point to the noodles and veggies and eventually come up with something to eat. Finally at the guest house in Krabi the owner pulled me aside and helped me out with some key vegetarian phrases. That night I tried it out and sure enough some veggie plate came to my table and it was delicious. The next night I tried it out again and more head shaking...which has been my response of late. Back at the guest house today, I tried my one phrase out on a group of women sitting with the owner and they all just laughed. Apparently I have been going around Thailand asking every food vendor if I'm a vegetarian. I guess my answer is yes when I refuse the meat held up to me in response. Language is tricky and I like to point a lot more now than I ever have. "I'd like one more Thai iced tea please" is easily translated to pointing my index finger at my empty glass then holding up the number 1. Simple, effective, yet not conducive to much more. If you can tell me how to sign "What subject did you study at University" please send it to my comments section... with photos! Well, it's almost 6pm here so off to dinner...hmm, wonder what will end up on my plate tonight?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to read your past blogs slowly so I wouldn't run out. But it didn't work. As of today, I'm up-to-date. Crap! Now I have to wait for the next installment just like any other schmoe. I am thoroughly enjoying your posts and am indebted to Sam (that's what we called her in high school and still do)for turning me on to them. Keep them coming. I have to agree with the folks who've responded before that I believe you have a book in you. Take care.

Steve Yoder (aka Stoder)

Anonymous said...

Did you get my email about how to say thank you like a man??? Women and men have different endings to some of the words, so if you are asking a woman how to say something in Thai, make sure she tells you how a GUY says it and not how SHE would say it.

Ka Pune Kup--thanks by a man
Ka Pune Ka---thanks by a woman. In the word Pune the e is silent and the u is long.

Sorry about the heiroglyphics, I think as you head North it will get easier.

Lots of people are reading your blog, but just don't respond. Got set up w/Sue Hill yesterday for shots and meds etc. Did you take the Japanese Yellow Fever shot???? I think we'll pass on that one.
Love you, bro. School is out again today because of snow so that makes it 5 in a row!!! Kids are loving it.

See you soon, miss you. Keep up the good work of talking to yourself, at least you are not lonely. I love the laughing out loud part.

James said...

yeah, I can say hello and thank you like a man baby. And I can say I'm a vegetarian like an old dead head too! Japanese Encephalitis B is kind of fatal so think about that and there is no yellow fever here. Say hi to Sue and Burk for me. See you in 6 weeks!

Anonymous said...

Seems that the Japanese Encephalitis B shot only needs to be taken if we were staying longer. The months they mentioned were May thru Oct. I think we might be safe. I'll say hey.
Love ya, you stud muffin!