Monday, March 26, 2007

San Juan Island!

I've been craving this for months and here I am...sitting on a beach log with my back to the ocean and looking at ducks (mallards and buffleheads) floating on a small lagoon. Their invisible feet propelling them effortlessly makes it look like they are being blown randomly by the cold wind that is biting my neck. Driftwood all along the beach sticks up out of the sand at random angles like long forgotten tombstones shining white in the harsh low angle of sunlight. A monstrous blue heron circles silently overhead before alighting on a fir. I'm not sure if "alight" is the right word as the tree branch bends precariously under its weight. A big yellow cloud of pollen puffs off in the breeze under the giant bird. It is spring here and I had forgotten the amount of pollen a single fir can generate. The pollen reminds me it is spring. The sun is still low in the horizon even though it's noon, and the wind keeps nipping at my exposed skin. But in this little sheltered area the sunlight feels good on my face. Walking earlier along the path through the giant trees I saw no one. I heard only the sounds of birds and wind in the trees and the small wavelets licking the shore. What made the tears come was the smell. I hadn't expected the power of the smell of the pine trees. I hadn't missed that smell at all as the odors of Asia can be overwhelming. The heavy wet decaying smells of the jungle, or the hot smokey stench of all the roasting meat-stick vendors, or the ever-present funk of open sewers. The humidity of SE Asia made the air feel used , like I was breathing someone else's sigh. The halitosis of hundreds of millions of people was at first oppressive but I soon acclimated and forgot the subtle and fresh scent of a cold pine forest after a cleansing rain. Even though the wet earth smelled of mushrooms and ferns and moldy wood it was the fresh scent of nature... and things occurring as they should. There were no tuk-tuks fouling the air or clouds of diesel billowing from tail-pipes. As I wandered the path it led to the shore and the smell of the sea mixed with the pines and I finally felt home for the first time.
At home for the first time...both in my own skin and on this island. I'd walked this path many times before but never as this man at this time in his life. I walked it alone and enjoyed it more than if anyone were with me. I have been here for 5 days now and haven't called anyone or seen any friends...only family members. I'm still in a state of transition and being alone with James is a thing I have never been comfortable with until now. I'd always look for someone to spend my time with in the past. I'd try to plan my day around who I was with or what I was doing next. Even when walking on a trail I would be thinking about what the next thing on my days agenda would be. I'd hurry through the walk to get it done or over with and check it off my list so the next thing could be done. It was as if my entire life was a thing to be lived after I was done doing the thing I was now doing! The harder I ran looking for the next thing to do, the less attention I gave doing the present activity. Sure I had a busy life and lots of things going on but I never really enjoyed those things. I've grown up a bit. I need to slow down...not for my body and not for lack of energy, but for lack of joy. Do I get some prize at the end of this life for being busy? The prize comes now by enjoying this precious moment. I think spending 6 to 8 hours a day pedalling, always pedalling, doing the same thing even in different places and with different amazing experiences broke me of the "what's next" habit. Even though I constantly still wonder "what's next" in my life regarding career and ways to make a living, it's different. I can spend time alone now with James and actually like my company and not have to wonder about the next minutes or hours...they will, no doubt, lead to the next career path no matter how much I stress about it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

James, it looks as if your cup is beginning to fill. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

"Do I get some prize at the end of this life for being busy? The prize comes now by enjoying this precious moment. "

Thank you, James. This is exactly the sentiment I keep trying to get across to my more or less work-driven wife. You put it very succinctly. When you die, who the hell cares whether or not the knick-knacks were dusted?

Anonymous said...

Again- you're living my favorite quote: "He not busy being born is busy dying." (Bob Dylan said that) Its great to see (read?) someone so very busy being born as you are! It inspires me. Keep it coming!!!

Angel said...

Once again I find myself reading your blog and its still just as amusing!
Sorry I haven't been on in a while but I was moving around too much and didn't have too much internet access. Now I have access at home so I can catch up on my reading! YAY!
Keep it up and enjoy the beach!

Anonymous said...

James, thank you for sharing so much of yourself throughout your biking experience and now that you are home on this beautiful island. You have a gift with words, and I am very pleased to know that you will continue writing. It was particularly interesting to read your version and Samantha's version of certain parts of your trip. Good luck easing back into island life. Visualize what you want, and I'm sure it will come your way. Take care, Katy

cynthia said...

Great writing James, inspiring!
reminds me of a Ralph Waldo Emerson quote...There are three wants which can never be satisfied: that of the rich wanting more, that of the sick, wanting something different, and that of the traveler, who says,"anywhere but here."
Good to see you the other day

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://mobetazeda.wtcsites.com/obokev.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
might , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://qajupavoro.s-enterprize.com/asixevu.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://foturoxo.angelcities.com/byzecyn.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

The islands were part of the traditional area of the Central Coast Salish. Linguistically, the Central Coast Salish consisted of five groups: Squamish, Halkomelem, Nooksack, Northern Straits (which includes the Lummi dialect),http://www.kingtours.comand Klallam. Exploration and settlement by Europeans brought smallpox to the area by the 1770s. In 1843, the Hudson's Bay Company established Fort Camosun at nearby Vancouver Island.
http://www.kingtours.com

Anonymous said...

I ԁon't know whether it's ϳust me or if ρerhаps evеryone
еlse expегiencing issues ωith уоur
blоg. It аpρеarѕ aѕ though some of the written
text on уour contеnt are running off
the ѕcreеn. Can ѕomеbοdy еlse ρlease comment and let me know if this is hаppening to them as ωell?
This mіght be a problem with my internet browsеr because I've had this happen previously. Kudos

Feel free to surf to my blog post; reputation management

Anonymous said...

I lіκe the helpful іnfo уоu рrovidе іn your aгticles.
I will booκmaгk yοur blog anԁ check agaіn heгe гegulaгly.
I'm quite certain I'll lеaгn many nеw stuff гight
here! Good luсκ foг the next!



Here iѕ my wеb page ... PrivateBlogNetwork.info